The goals of APC Guinea Project are to reduce the risk of transmission of the Ebola virus from survivors to other individuals; ensure that all Ebola survivors have access to routine health care and psychosocial services; and strengthen the capacity of those service providers through direct assistance to facilities within the national health system.
Strengthen national and subnational coordination and assist with the roll-out of the Ministry of Health’s national plan for survivors (SA-Ceint) through:
- Semi-annual regional meetings to review strategy and implementation progress in target prefectures.
- Monthly supportive monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of SA-Ceint at prefecture and community levels for focal points, communities, and health facilities.
- National quantification of survivor commodities.
Strengthen longitudinal care by supporting monitoring of survivors and their immediate contacts, and assisting disease surveillance and reporting to ensure that needed health care services are provided in a timely manner and that illnesses and deaths in selected regions are recognized, notified, and treated rapidly:
- Develop and implement referral and counter-referral system in target regions.
- Monitor quality reports sent by focal points in accordance with SA-Ceint guidelines.
- Coordinate specimen collection and transport from health facilities to designated laboratories.
- Upgrade tertiary and prefecture-level hospitals.
Strengthen the capacity of health care providers and their knowledge of survivor health care needs, infection prevention, and stigma reduction to ensure access to appropriate care in line with the Government’s goal of reintegrating survivor care with local services:
- Support development of materials and conduct sensitization training for traditional, opinion, religious leaders, government, and local leaders.
- Asses capacity of and provide organizational training to survivor associations.
- Provide subspecialty training or mentoring of health professionals who care for survivors at tertiary and prefecture-level hospitals.
Rebuild health services (WASH, capacity-building for heath facility staff and sentinels; and strengthening community engagement between health facilities and communities).
- Disease surveillance.
- IMC - International Medical Corps (Conakry)